Being Sam...
Sam is such a funny little kid.....he can be extremely entertaining, but also very challenging. And according to my parents, he is payback. I can't believe I was as difficult as he is, but I do see a *few* similarities (other than larger head size).
Sam is FULL of life...he goes non-stop. He will literally run from the moment he wakes up until I put him back into his bed for nap or nighttime. He is NOT one who likes to sit around....he loves to be busy, in fact, if he is sitting in a car for longer than about a half hour, he whines and tells me that he wants to "be busy". I get that....sitting around and doing nothing does seem like a waste of time to me too. He still does not watch ANY TV....ANY!!! (crazy, right?)...even in the car I will put a show on for the boys and when I turn around to look at him, he is NEVER watching the monitor, and is more interested in looking at cars/trucks on the highway. I am not a fan of the TV either, so not being interested in TV is just fine with me (but would be kinda nice on long car trips).
As many of you know, Sam is extremely independent. He thinks he needs to do EVERYTHING by himself. It is my biggest battle right now....every day there is something new he wants to do, without any help, and he's just too little/young to do it. For example...the other day at the soccer tournament, little 1st grade girls were tying Caleb's shoes for him.....untying them and then tying them (basically practicing on the a very patient...and cute boy). So that day Sam decides that HE needs to learn to tie shoes too. He screams his head off b/c he "can't do it" and won't let Justin or me help him. I finally tell him that "there are no 2 year olds in this world that tie their own shoes." I remind him that Caleb can't tie his shoes either and that he is 4. This time, reasoning with him actually worked. It usually doesn't. Seriously, there are days when he screams about something for a half hour....possibly more. I used to get mad about this, now I just accept it and make sure I'm not in the same room as he is ....and will occassionally yell to him "Sam, do you want help yet?" and wait for the typical response "NO, I want to do it by MYSELF!!" What is funny about this is that the other day I was reading my old blogs from when he was about Izzy's age and he showed signs of this then!! When he was learning to stand on his own (using the couch/etc) I would hold his hand/arm and he would move it away....didn't want my help then and he certainly doesn't want it now.
I have to give him credit though...he does a great job keeping up with the big kids. Our neighbor boys are 5 and 7 years (just like our old neighbors...but much better behaved) and he does whatever it is they are doing....he's 2!! He seems alot older to me, but so did Caleb at that age. I am starting to have alot more fun playing with Sam too...especially when we are outside. He LOVES playing soccer right now. This past week, Caleb has been on his bike or scooter, Izzy in her car or excersaucer and Sam & I kick the soccer ball around or play catch. He is actually really good at soccer. And if I'm not able to kick/catch with him, he will literally dribble the ball around the yard...I swear that kid runs a few miles a day. I took a "few" pics of him playing soccer the other day...click to see more. I blogged this one though b/c he looks so darn sweet in it. He looked so sweet before going to bed tonight ....we had dinner at our neighbors so he was alittle wound up....it was late and I was annoyed he had too much energy for 9:00pm. Anyway, in the hopes of settling him down, I picked up a dog of his and told him that he was really tired and needed to cuddle. Sammy got a very serious look on his face, became very quiet, grabbed his dog, hugged him tightly and then covered him with his covers and kept his arm around the dog and just sat there with him in silence. And then this sweet little face showed up back downstairs, asking me for water about 5 minutes later. After I gave it to him and told him to go back to bed, he gave me a sweet and funny smile and quietly headed back upstairs. "Wow, what a good/sweet boy he is", I thought as I headed back into the living room.... I glanced back up at him one more time and noticed that he was sticking his tongue out at me. Seriously, that only made me smile even more.
Sam is FULL of life...he goes non-stop. He will literally run from the moment he wakes up until I put him back into his bed for nap or nighttime. He is NOT one who likes to sit around....he loves to be busy, in fact, if he is sitting in a car for longer than about a half hour, he whines and tells me that he wants to "be busy". I get that....sitting around and doing nothing does seem like a waste of time to me too. He still does not watch ANY TV....ANY!!! (crazy, right?)...even in the car I will put a show on for the boys and when I turn around to look at him, he is NEVER watching the monitor, and is more interested in looking at cars/trucks on the highway. I am not a fan of the TV either, so not being interested in TV is just fine with me (but would be kinda nice on long car trips).
As many of you know, Sam is extremely independent. He thinks he needs to do EVERYTHING by himself. It is my biggest battle right now....every day there is something new he wants to do, without any help, and he's just too little/young to do it. For example...the other day at the soccer tournament, little 1st grade girls were tying Caleb's shoes for him.....untying them and then tying them (basically practicing on the a very patient...and cute boy). So that day Sam decides that HE needs to learn to tie shoes too. He screams his head off b/c he "can't do it" and won't let Justin or me help him. I finally tell him that "there are no 2 year olds in this world that tie their own shoes." I remind him that Caleb can't tie his shoes either and that he is 4. This time, reasoning with him actually worked. It usually doesn't. Seriously, there are days when he screams about something for a half hour....possibly more. I used to get mad about this, now I just accept it and make sure I'm not in the same room as he is ....and will occassionally yell to him "Sam, do you want help yet?" and wait for the typical response "NO, I want to do it by MYSELF!!" What is funny about this is that the other day I was reading my old blogs from when he was about Izzy's age and he showed signs of this then!! When he was learning to stand on his own (using the couch/etc) I would hold his hand/arm and he would move it away....didn't want my help then and he certainly doesn't want it now.
I have to give him credit though...he does a great job keeping up with the big kids. Our neighbor boys are 5 and 7 years (just like our old neighbors...but much better behaved) and he does whatever it is they are doing....he's 2!! He seems alot older to me, but so did Caleb at that age. I am starting to have alot more fun playing with Sam too...especially when we are outside. He LOVES playing soccer right now. This past week, Caleb has been on his bike or scooter, Izzy in her car or excersaucer and Sam & I kick the soccer ball around or play catch. He is actually really good at soccer. And if I'm not able to kick/catch with him, he will literally dribble the ball around the yard...I swear that kid runs a few miles a day. I took a "few" pics of him playing soccer the other day...click to see more. I blogged this one though b/c he looks so darn sweet in it. He looked so sweet before going to bed tonight ....we had dinner at our neighbors so he was alittle wound up....it was late and I was annoyed he had too much energy for 9:00pm. Anyway, in the hopes of settling him down, I picked up a dog of his and told him that he was really tired and needed to cuddle. Sammy got a very serious look on his face, became very quiet, grabbed his dog, hugged him tightly and then covered him with his covers and kept his arm around the dog and just sat there with him in silence. And then this sweet little face showed up back downstairs, asking me for water about 5 minutes later. After I gave it to him and told him to go back to bed, he gave me a sweet and funny smile and quietly headed back upstairs. "Wow, what a good/sweet boy he is", I thought as I headed back into the living room.... I glanced back up at him one more time and noticed that he was sticking his tongue out at me. Seriously, that only made me smile even more.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home