What a Difference a Day Makes
So yesterday I blogged about Sam being in the beginning stages of potty training. Today, I am happy to report that he is officially in underwear. Who would've thought? It's so typical of Sammy though...he sets his mind to something and just does it. He must have decided at 6:15am today b/c I heard him in the bathroom moving his little stepstool around and then flushing the toilet - all before coming into our room...and then after breakfast, he went in the bathroom to poop! I was SO proud of him today - - he had NO accidents and we had 3 outings and I let him wear his underwear (no training pants) each time.
It's so funny how different training is with Sam. With Caleb, I would go into the bathroom with him and cheer him on. With Sam, he may or may not tell me he's going to the bathroom and if he does tell me that he has to go, I say "okay , great...go to the bathroom" and I proceed to keep doing whatever it is I'm doing. Don't get me wrong, I cheer him on (from the other room) and he gets 3 jelly bellies like Caleb did. Sometimes he forgets about the jelly bellies and sometimes he hides a few extras in the palm of his hand. When I ask him how many he has, he opens his hands up UNTIL 3 jelly bellies are showing and says "three of them. see?" Today, I was amused by this and pretended not to notice that he had a few more in there.
Sam has never really been motivated with a promise of a new toy. Caleb, on the other hand, will work hard to get new toys - especially if he has something in mind. Example - our token (reward) system...I will tell Sam that I am going to take a token from him for bad behavior. His response 75% of the time: "it doesn't matter" Caleb's response 100% of the time "NOOOOOO I promise to be a good boy!!!" SO, what motivated Sam to potty train? 1) wanting to wear underwear like Caleb 2) he wants to go to preschools/camps/classes and all of the 3 year old classes require him to wear underwear...granted, he misses the cutoff for everything anyway since he doesn't turn 3 until December, but it still helped motivate him 3) he was mad yesterday that Caleb could ride the pony w/o help, but Justin had to help him....Justin told him it was b/c he wore diapers (hahahahaha) 4) I promised him Chuck E Cheeses...so we will be making a trip to Appleton sometime soon.
One of the outings we had today was to the Sports Core (racquet & fitness club). The kids did GREAT in the Kids Core while my mom and I played tennis. There is a huge window from the kids area looking onto the indoor tennis courts, so Caleb was very happy to wave to me. Sam was too busy playing. We are heading back there tomorrow to hit their little beach/lake...without diapers!! YEAH SAMMY!!
It's so funny how different training is with Sam. With Caleb, I would go into the bathroom with him and cheer him on. With Sam, he may or may not tell me he's going to the bathroom and if he does tell me that he has to go, I say "okay , great...go to the bathroom" and I proceed to keep doing whatever it is I'm doing. Don't get me wrong, I cheer him on (from the other room) and he gets 3 jelly bellies like Caleb did. Sometimes he forgets about the jelly bellies and sometimes he hides a few extras in the palm of his hand. When I ask him how many he has, he opens his hands up UNTIL 3 jelly bellies are showing and says "three of them. see?" Today, I was amused by this and pretended not to notice that he had a few more in there.
Sam has never really been motivated with a promise of a new toy. Caleb, on the other hand, will work hard to get new toys - especially if he has something in mind. Example - our token (reward) system...I will tell Sam that I am going to take a token from him for bad behavior. His response 75% of the time: "it doesn't matter" Caleb's response 100% of the time "NOOOOOO I promise to be a good boy!!!" SO, what motivated Sam to potty train? 1) wanting to wear underwear like Caleb 2) he wants to go to preschools/camps/classes and all of the 3 year old classes require him to wear underwear...granted, he misses the cutoff for everything anyway since he doesn't turn 3 until December, but it still helped motivate him 3) he was mad yesterday that Caleb could ride the pony w/o help, but Justin had to help him....Justin told him it was b/c he wore diapers (hahahahaha) 4) I promised him Chuck E Cheeses...so we will be making a trip to Appleton sometime soon.
One of the outings we had today was to the Sports Core (racquet & fitness club). The kids did GREAT in the Kids Core while my mom and I played tennis. There is a huge window from the kids area looking onto the indoor tennis courts, so Caleb was very happy to wave to me. Sam was too busy playing. We are heading back there tomorrow to hit their little beach/lake...without diapers!! YEAH SAMMY!!


1 Comments:
Aiden is so like Sammy! He has to be the one to make the decision and doesn't seem to grasp the concept of long-term rewards (only immediate ones like...you can have a gum ball RIGHT NOW if you go potty). Must be a 2nd child thing. ?? So proud of Sammy and so happy that you, like me, are now down to only 1 child in diapers. Now if only we could cut out the night-time pull ups...mama could have some shopping $$!! ;) Miss you guys!
Post a Comment
<< Home