Fun & Busy Days
We had a really nice weekend...didn't get as much done around the house as we should've, but we had a great time so it's all worth it.
Saturday we went to a big brat fry....good live entertainment (for kids in the day and adults at night), kids games and yummy food. The proceeds from the brat fry go towards improving an already very nice park....and the best part is that this park is very close to our house. The money will be used to put in tennis courts, which of COURSE I support. So Saturday's outing served a few purposes...entertainment, feeding my family, and supporting a good cause. :) Check out the pics of the boys dancing...well, Caleb was dancing. Sammy wasn't so sure about the man with the guitar. And for some reason, as you can see on the pics, Caleb was all protective of Sam....he later told me that he was trying to get Sam relaxed so he would dance with him - ha. We had Brayden with us at the brat fry and he came over afterwards to play with the boys and hang out. They got out the slip and slide and put it down the hill in our front yard...check out pics.
On Sat night, Amy's family & ours went to Jill's house to grill out. We had a great time and the boys had a blast. Jill's place is awesome....they have woods in the back of their house with paths for 4 wheelers. Brayden took the boys on rides on the 4 wheeler and they thought that was the coolest thing. There were lots of older boys around and Caleb tried SO hard to keep up with them. He honestly SHOCKED me with his confidence...I wonder where my careful & cautious Caleb went. First he wanted to ride Alec's bike (he's Jill's 5 year old)...no training wheels, but he still gave it a shot and actually did okay. THEN, not only did he go as fast as he could on one of the boys Razor scooters, he thought he could go off the ramps like the big boys. He was crazy. He came home alittle bruised up - ha. Sam had a blast too...riding Alec's tractor and just sitting on the 4 wheeler watching all the older boys. My parents stopped over for awhile too which was nice (Jill basically grew up with us and is Amy's best friend) and Izzy enjoyed being held by either Amy or grandma all night.
Sunday, Justin took the boys and I had Izzy for most of the day. Kind of a boring day, but fairly productive.
Today we had a very fun outing. Grandma took us to a big strawberry field to pick strawberries!! The boys loved it. Very cool place...great people, very organized and unbelievable strawberries. A tractor came to pick us up to take us to the right spot in the field to pick(Sam's favorite part). Before we headed out to the fields, the woman who worked at the farm told the boys "before you put any strawberries in the box, you have to test them to make sure that you like them." I think Sam heard the following instead "don't put any strawberries in the box - just eat them all." He honestly didn't put a single strawberry in the box. He just sat in the field and ate and ate and ate. He looked very guilty heading back in...his face, shirt, arms & legs were covered in pink. Hilarious. My mom told the woman she should add another pound onto the price b/c of how much Sam had eaten. Naturally, Caleb (the rule follower) sampled one strawberry (loved it) and put the rest in the box. He really enjoyed "hunting" for the perfect strawberries.
Now, what do I do with a huge flat of strawberries? My old playgroup friends would not be surprised with how I used up 4 cups already....I made bread. :) I've never made strawberry bread before, but today seemed like a perfect time. Caleb & I made 2 loaves while Sam & Izzy napped. I thought it was pretty good, though I'll try a different recipe next time. Caleb wants us to eat them all up soon so we can go back again. Lucky for him, he has Sam here to help us eat them up...quickly.
Saturday we went to a big brat fry....good live entertainment (for kids in the day and adults at night), kids games and yummy food. The proceeds from the brat fry go towards improving an already very nice park....and the best part is that this park is very close to our house. The money will be used to put in tennis courts, which of COURSE I support. So Saturday's outing served a few purposes...entertainment, feeding my family, and supporting a good cause. :) Check out the pics of the boys dancing...well, Caleb was dancing. Sammy wasn't so sure about the man with the guitar. And for some reason, as you can see on the pics, Caleb was all protective of Sam....he later told me that he was trying to get Sam relaxed so he would dance with him - ha. We had Brayden with us at the brat fry and he came over afterwards to play with the boys and hang out. They got out the slip and slide and put it down the hill in our front yard...check out pics.
On Sat night, Amy's family & ours went to Jill's house to grill out. We had a great time and the boys had a blast. Jill's place is awesome....they have woods in the back of their house with paths for 4 wheelers. Brayden took the boys on rides on the 4 wheeler and they thought that was the coolest thing. There were lots of older boys around and Caleb tried SO hard to keep up with them. He honestly SHOCKED me with his confidence...I wonder where my careful & cautious Caleb went. First he wanted to ride Alec's bike (he's Jill's 5 year old)...no training wheels, but he still gave it a shot and actually did okay. THEN, not only did he go as fast as he could on one of the boys Razor scooters, he thought he could go off the ramps like the big boys. He was crazy. He came home alittle bruised up - ha. Sam had a blast too...riding Alec's tractor and just sitting on the 4 wheeler watching all the older boys. My parents stopped over for awhile too which was nice (Jill basically grew up with us and is Amy's best friend) and Izzy enjoyed being held by either Amy or grandma all night.
Sunday, Justin took the boys and I had Izzy for most of the day. Kind of a boring day, but fairly productive.
Today we had a very fun outing. Grandma took us to a big strawberry field to pick strawberries!! The boys loved it. Very cool place...great people, very organized and unbelievable strawberries. A tractor came to pick us up to take us to the right spot in the field to pick(Sam's favorite part). Before we headed out to the fields, the woman who worked at the farm told the boys "before you put any strawberries in the box, you have to test them to make sure that you like them." I think Sam heard the following instead "don't put any strawberries in the box - just eat them all." He honestly didn't put a single strawberry in the box. He just sat in the field and ate and ate and ate. He looked very guilty heading back in...his face, shirt, arms & legs were covered in pink. Hilarious. My mom told the woman she should add another pound onto the price b/c of how much Sam had eaten. Naturally, Caleb (the rule follower) sampled one strawberry (loved it) and put the rest in the box. He really enjoyed "hunting" for the perfect strawberries.
Now, what do I do with a huge flat of strawberries? My old playgroup friends would not be surprised with how I used up 4 cups already....I made bread. :) I've never made strawberry bread before, but today seemed like a perfect time. Caleb & I made 2 loaves while Sam & Izzy napped. I thought it was pretty good, though I'll try a different recipe next time. Caleb wants us to eat them all up soon so we can go back again. Lucky for him, he has Sam here to help us eat them up...quickly.


1 Comments:
Okay, I am LOVING reading this post. Having grown up in a rural area, these nature-related experiences are SO important for kids. And I always feel good seeing them get excited about something like picking strawberries rather than a new toy or video game.
Post a Comment
<< Home