Being 4 Years Old
A few weeks before Caleb turned 4, I was really talking up being 4 years old and what it means to be 4....and more importantly, how to ACT 4 years old. We were practicing all the things he had to "give up" before turning 4....things like whining, being naughty...you get the picture. I seriously think the day after his Birthday he announced that being 4 years old means that he can be crazy. I wasn't quite sure what that meant, but here are a few examples of what "crazy" means so far:
- running around the house w/ pajama bottoms on his head yelling like a....well, crazy man. "mom, this is crazy. I can do this b/c I"m 4 years old."
- the shade fell in Sam's room and he was stomping all over it. When I scolded him he looked at me all confused and said "but mom, this is crazy to stomp all over this and I'm crazy now. It's not naughty. It's CRAZY."
- going as fast as he can down the driveway on his bike....b/c "mom, I'm crazy."
He also thinks that being 4 has made him incredibly brave. He had a doctor's appointment on Friday and before we left he said "mom, he can give me a shot. I don't mind." I told him I wasn't sure if he would get any shots and he seemed almost upset "but I WANT shots, mom." Well, he ended up getting 2 of them and he wasn't as enthusiastic about them when the nurse had the needled pointed at his thigh. ha.
He has been embarassed 2 times since turning 4. The first happened the other day at Costco. I put him and Sam in the cart facing me (where most kids sit) and Izzy in her carseat in the bigger part of the cart. Well, Caleb has not sat in that part of a cart in a LONG time and he was so embarassed. He literally told everyone that passed us "I'm not a baby, I'm actually 4 years old but my mom is making me sit here." HA!!! I thought this was hilarious. The second time he was embarassed was the other night...he wet the bed (only 2nd time ...and he hasnt' worn pull ups in MONTHS). Anyway - he changed his clothes all on his own, took the sheets off the bed and closed both doors to his room so we wouldn't see. He was SO embarassed. When we told him that it was okay, he just looked so uncomfortable and didn't want to talk about it. I was just so proud of him for taking care of things on his own - such a big boy!!
And according to the doctor, he IS a big boy....he was around the 85% for height! He also weighed 38 pounds, which the doctor said was "perfect" considering how tall he is...a very healthy kid. Justin always worries that Caleb will be too tall and skinny like he was....I guess that is not "cool" or fun for guys.
Isabella had her 4 month appointment after Caleb....she too is at a very healthy weight and height. Okay, her weight (almost 15 pounds)is alittle over average (65%), but I think the majority of that weight is in her cheeks. She is also alittle over average on height...we'll see if this continues. She had 2 shots as well and was not happy about them....she has 2 good bruises on her legs from them and they are pretty sore. Poor girl.
And while we were there, the Dr. Lo gave Sam a little check-up. He has had a fever for the past few days and his cough is back. We were NOT worried about the swine flu, but wanted to make sure that the cough he has had for basically 7 weeks was not something we needed to worry about. He said that Sam looked and sounded good...and thought that he kept reinfecting himself with a viral infection. I told my friend Megan (who is a pediatrician) Sam's condition as well and she offered the same diagnosis. It's still not stopping him. We spent the day outside and he was playing just as hard as he usually does. He just won't sit still.
So the big news with Sam is that he decided tonight that he wanted to sleep in the "big boy bed" in his room. Surprisingly, he didn't try to get out of bed before falling asleep, but we'll see if he falls out of bed tonight. ha. I'm certainly not getting rid of his crib ...i just thought I'd let him try b/c, quite frankly, I just didn't feel like arguing about it with him. And as I tucked him into his big boy bed, I looked down at his huge smile and thought "he is so cute, but this is so crazy." Yes....Crazy. Caleb would like this.
- running around the house w/ pajama bottoms on his head yelling like a....well, crazy man. "mom, this is crazy. I can do this b/c I"m 4 years old."
- the shade fell in Sam's room and he was stomping all over it. When I scolded him he looked at me all confused and said "but mom, this is crazy to stomp all over this and I'm crazy now. It's not naughty. It's CRAZY."
- going as fast as he can down the driveway on his bike....b/c "mom, I'm crazy."
He also thinks that being 4 has made him incredibly brave. He had a doctor's appointment on Friday and before we left he said "mom, he can give me a shot. I don't mind." I told him I wasn't sure if he would get any shots and he seemed almost upset "but I WANT shots, mom." Well, he ended up getting 2 of them and he wasn't as enthusiastic about them when the nurse had the needled pointed at his thigh. ha.
He has been embarassed 2 times since turning 4. The first happened the other day at Costco. I put him and Sam in the cart facing me (where most kids sit) and Izzy in her carseat in the bigger part of the cart. Well, Caleb has not sat in that part of a cart in a LONG time and he was so embarassed. He literally told everyone that passed us "I'm not a baby, I'm actually 4 years old but my mom is making me sit here." HA!!! I thought this was hilarious. The second time he was embarassed was the other night...he wet the bed (only 2nd time ...and he hasnt' worn pull ups in MONTHS). Anyway - he changed his clothes all on his own, took the sheets off the bed and closed both doors to his room so we wouldn't see. He was SO embarassed. When we told him that it was okay, he just looked so uncomfortable and didn't want to talk about it. I was just so proud of him for taking care of things on his own - such a big boy!!
And according to the doctor, he IS a big boy....he was around the 85% for height! He also weighed 38 pounds, which the doctor said was "perfect" considering how tall he is...a very healthy kid. Justin always worries that Caleb will be too tall and skinny like he was....I guess that is not "cool" or fun for guys.
Isabella had her 4 month appointment after Caleb....she too is at a very healthy weight and height. Okay, her weight (almost 15 pounds)is alittle over average (65%), but I think the majority of that weight is in her cheeks. She is also alittle over average on height...we'll see if this continues. She had 2 shots as well and was not happy about them....she has 2 good bruises on her legs from them and they are pretty sore. Poor girl.
And while we were there, the Dr. Lo gave Sam a little check-up. He has had a fever for the past few days and his cough is back. We were NOT worried about the swine flu, but wanted to make sure that the cough he has had for basically 7 weeks was not something we needed to worry about. He said that Sam looked and sounded good...and thought that he kept reinfecting himself with a viral infection. I told my friend Megan (who is a pediatrician) Sam's condition as well and she offered the same diagnosis. It's still not stopping him. We spent the day outside and he was playing just as hard as he usually does. He just won't sit still.
So the big news with Sam is that he decided tonight that he wanted to sleep in the "big boy bed" in his room. Surprisingly, he didn't try to get out of bed before falling asleep, but we'll see if he falls out of bed tonight. ha. I'm certainly not getting rid of his crib ...i just thought I'd let him try b/c, quite frankly, I just didn't feel like arguing about it with him. And as I tucked him into his big boy bed, I looked down at his huge smile and thought "he is so cute, but this is so crazy." Yes....Crazy. Caleb would like this.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home