Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Smells of the Season


Sweet Sam
Originally uploaded by Justin and Kelly Webb
I have been both blessed and cursed with a very sensitive sense of smell. I know I smell things that the average person does not smell...and this can be annoying when I smell a hint of something bad and nobody else picks up on it. Then I obsess over it. I honestly used to be able to walk into work and smell whether or not certain people were in the office. Weird huh? I have also been known to pick up and smell things that normal people would not smell...and usually I'm caught by a member of my family and this is typically the conversation that takes place:
Justin: how does that smell, Kelly?
Me: bad. I knew it would smell bad.
Justin: then why did you smell it if you thought it w/b bad?
Me: I don't know I just had to.
Yeah. It's weird. ANYWAY ....my point to this all is that I knew yesterday at 10:00am that Sammy would get croup. Why? Because I could smell it. Seriously. We were playing together while Caleb was at school and Izzy was napping. We were playing with tinker toys when I got a whiff of sickness (note: he was acting perfectly normal). I asked him if he felt okay and he said he did, but in the back of my mind I thought "he's totally going to have croup tonight". Since I was only going on my sense of smell, we still went to a birthday party for a girl in Caleb's class that afternoon and he acted completely normal there - - he just smelled sick. Anyway, at about 4:00 he started coughing alittle, was losing his voice and he developed a fever so I took him to doctor. His chest/breathing sounded normal so she sent us home, but I knew it would only get worse and I'd be in the ER with him getting a steroid in the middle of the night. That is exactly what happened - he had it pretty bad too - worse than either he or Caleb have ever had. So he and I were at the hospital from 9:30pm - 3:00am (miserable). Sam thought it was cool to be at the hospital where his Aunt Amy works.

He was still barking today - - it's so hard to keep him still. There is nothing he will watch on TV. Nothing. He may have watched a total of 20 minutes of TV today and I think he watches it like I do. He looks at the TV and thinks of other things, not really paying attention to it.

My mom used to tell me she could smell that Amy was getting croup a DAY before she actually got it (I seemed to escape that childhood illness). Anyway, I used to think my mom was nuts when she would tell me that....now I get it. It's a new seasonal smell....leaves, pumpkin pie and croup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home