The "Freak Out"
Last Friday, I officially "freaked out" in front of the kids. All 3 of them were outside with me...we were cleaning out more of the flowers/bushes, picking up sticks in the yard, putting out a few fall decorations, etc. Well, it happened as we were taking a load of sticks/etc. to the ravine....Caleb w/ the tractor, Sam w/ the wheelbarrow and Izzy in her car. Caleb had already made it to the ravine and was patiently waiting, and Sammy was behind me as I pushed Izzy when I saw it. A snake. A real snake. I watched it slither very quickly UNDERNEATH Izzy's car. This is when I freak out. I screamed, jumped, screamed, jumped, waved my arms, and screamed some more....still waving my arms. After about 5 seconds of this crazy behavior I realized 1) that I had jumped back about 10 feet and just left Izzy to watch the snake on her own (it really was moving quickly....and away from her, but still). 2) that I was actually screaming my head off in front of my children and I should check their reaction. Their reaction:
Caleb: ummmm...I scared him. He screamed and shed a few tears. But he quickly got over it and his emotions changed to anger b/c he didn't get to see the snake too. Needless to say, I didn't feel sorry for him.
Sam: Looked at me like I was *completely* nuts. He said nothing, just stared at me for a long time. Then after the "coast was clear" pushed his little wheelbarrow to the ravine....but silently.
Isabella: Gave me a big big smile. Apparently she enjoyed my psychotic song & dance.
I apologized profusely to them about my reaction and told them that there was nothing to be afraid of and that it just caught me off guard. And this was followed by a "but that was our last trip to the ravine, okay guys?" I take back what I have told many of you before....you know, the thing about "I'd rather have snakes in my house than spiders." Yeah...that's no longer true....just ask my kids.
Caleb: ummmm...I scared him. He screamed and shed a few tears. But he quickly got over it and his emotions changed to anger b/c he didn't get to see the snake too. Needless to say, I didn't feel sorry for him.
Sam: Looked at me like I was *completely* nuts. He said nothing, just stared at me for a long time. Then after the "coast was clear" pushed his little wheelbarrow to the ravine....but silently.
Isabella: Gave me a big big smile. Apparently she enjoyed my psychotic song & dance.
I apologized profusely to them about my reaction and told them that there was nothing to be afraid of and that it just caught me off guard. And this was followed by a "but that was our last trip to the ravine, okay guys?" I take back what I have told many of you before....you know, the thing about "I'd rather have snakes in my house than spiders." Yeah...that's no longer true....just ask my kids.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home