Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Caleb: 4 Going on 14


Sweet Caleb
Originally uploaded by Justin and Kelly Webb

So the other day my mom was over and she asked Caleb how preschool was and how he liked his new friends. He said how much he liked it and then just casually threw in that he had a girlfriend. I kind of laughed it off and didn't think much of it....until I spent a day with their class on Wednesday and learned that what he said was true. Caleb has a girlfriend. It made me cringe.

Her name is Natalie. She's cute. Really cute....long hair w/ big curls and a sweet little face. Caleb pointed her out as soon as she walked in "mom, there is my girlfriend. Do you see her? The one with the pink and green on?" "yep I see her." She came and sat down next to him for circle time...they giggled and kind of tickled each other (aaaaahhh!!!).

The funniest thing happened on our field trip to the Farmers Market. The Farmers Market is HUGE here...much bigger than what I have been used to - I just love it and our family goes alot. Anyway, the market is a few blocks from preschool so we walked there. Each kid had a dollar to spend and we tried getting all different fruits/vegetables. The preschoolers really thought this was very fun and they all tried the foods when we returned back to class. Anyway - on these outings, the kids find a buddy and hold hands with him/her. Caleb held my hand on the way there - occassionally grabbing another friend's hand when we crossed a street. BUT..as we were getting ready to leave the Farmers Market, Natalie came up to us, stood next to Caleb and he put his ARM AROUND HER like they were 20 and have been dating for months. Then we began walking back, but they did not hold hands at first...oh no, he put his hand on her lower back and guided her carefully along the sidewalk....leaving me walking behind him, holding hands with another classmate. It was seriously crazy. Now, I have to admit, he was VERY sweet with her and she seemed to enjoy the special attention he gave her. She never moved his hand or left his side - it was pretty cute, even though it freaked me out alittle. They held hands most of the way home (when his hand wasn't on her back) and they talked and laughed the entire way back) One of the teachers saw them flirting and she looked at me, smiled and said "they really are a perfect match".
(sigh) He was such a little man that day....a well mannered little man.

And while I'm writing about him seeming older to me, I should end with a conversation we had at lunch. Actually, there were two...one about Natalie, the other about God. I'll start with the girlfriend first.

Me: Who did you play with at school today?
Caleb: My girlfriend....and Isaac.
Me: Oh Natalie huh?
Caleb: Yep, she's my girlfriend.
Me: So, does that mean that you are her boyfriend?
Caleb: Yep
Me: Does she call you her boyfriend?
Caleb: No. I dont' think she understands what a girlfriend and boyfriend really are. She doesn't know these thing yet.
Me: Well, how do you know?
Caleb: Mom, I just know all these things.

I really don't understand how he'd know.

Caleb: Is your mom's mom in heaven?
Me: Yes, she is.
Caleb: Will you see her again?
Me: Yes I will.
Caleb: So, do you die first and then go to heaven, or do you die in heaven?
Me: You die and then go to heaven.
Caleb: Well, does God make you alive again when you go to heaven?
Me: Well, no He doesn't.
Caleb: Well, then how will you see people when you go to heaven if you are dead? If you are dead, you can't see.
Me: Wow, that's a really good question.

Then I ramble on and on, not making much sense and probably confusing him more. He had such a logical thought process and smart questions. Too bad I didn't have a smart answer.

Any ideas on how to answer that one...to a 4 year old philosopher?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home