Name:
Location: United States

Monday, July 09, 2007

A Great Week In Wisconsin

We have had a GREAT week. It started with a visit from Casey, Jamie and Malika on Saturday morning. Casey & Justin headed straight to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs play the Brewers. They had a great time….the weather was perfect, they had great seats (naturally….Casey always gets the best tickets) and Justin could finally relax, as he is on break from school - yeah!! While the two of them ate countless hotdogs and drank a few beers at the ballpark, Jamie and I enjoyed visiting outside and watching Malika and Caleb play. They play SO nicely together – and they were very busy that afternoon – they played in the pool, on the slides, in the sandbox or they were just chasing each other around (they do that a lot). After the kids were sleeping, the four of us just hung out and ordered pizza. Sunday, the kids played again while we packed our car for a week-long trip to Wisconsin!

We arrived at my parents house Sunday afternoon (in time for dinner of course…don’t like missing those!). Our cousins, Mary & Dick were there and it took about 2 minutes for Caleb to warm up to them. He was singing and laughing with them right away…he quickly made new friends and found a new audience to show off in front of. Casey, Jamie and Mallie came over that evening also, so Mallie and Caleb continued their play – which consisted mostly of them chasing either each other, or Millie around the house.

Monday, Kay arrived and we were all very excited to see her as well. The US Senior Open Golf Tournament was held this past week at Whistling Straits – which is why our week turned into a big fun family outing! The golf course is just up the road from my parents place, which made coming and going very quick and easy. Everyone was so great about helping Justin and I out with the boys so we could enjoy time at the tournament as well.

Tuesday, Justin and I went to the golf course with Kay, Mary & Dick. It was fun watching the golfers get ready for the tournament - - I managed to get quite a few autographs on our souvenir flag…some day, I’ll frame it along with the signed flag we have from the Men’s Open a few years ago. Ha! Anyway – it was great and the boys were angels and had fun playing with grandma all day. Amy and Calian came over that night and Caleb was thrilled to see his cousin.

Wednesday (4th of July) we were on the go pretty early so we could watch the parade. Caleb really enjoyed it – I wasn’t sure if he could sit still for that long, but he did and seemed to really like watching everything go by. He loved all the music (he danced a lot)…and all the candy that was thrown into the crowd (Calian was a huge help with finding tootsie rolls for him). He wasn’t happy when the semi-truck honked his horn though…it was *very* loud. I don’t think he likes trucks anymore…but he still likes parades! Sammy enjoyed the parade too...he watched most of it on Amy's lap, which probably explains why he was so well behaved. :) Calian and Amy came over after the parade and Calian showed Caleb how to ride his jeep. He also helped him with his baseball swing…Caleb wasn’t taking anyone else’s help so I'm glad there is someone he'll listen to! :) My dad made his usual 4th of July specialty - Ribs...they were delicious, and so was everything my mom made to go with them. I literally gained 5 pounds last week...and I think 2 pounds were put on that day.

Thursday, one of my great friends from high school - Debbie, came over with her little girl, Bella. Bella was born 6 days after Sammy. They moved to Houston from Chicago last year so this was the first time we were able to meet the babies! It was great to see her...and fun for Sammy to make a new little friend. Thursday night we all went to my parents cabin - it was Sammy's first time there! He had fun ...mostly because he was being held by Kay or grandma, but I think he knew someday soon he'd be having alot of fun there with his big brother. :) Caleb loved it there - he had his first boat ride (paddle boat) and thought that was pretty cool. There was lots to see and explore at the cabin...I think next year he and grandpa will be spending ALOT of time there together.

Friday, Justin and I went to the golf tournament with my dad and Dick - we had a great time there again - - the weather was perfect, we watched players we really wanted to see from perfect spots and we had our share of beer and brats...and brownies (thanks to dad, who gave us passes to a nice corporate tent where we ate and drank for free!) :) Friday night, Kay treated everyone to a really nice dinner out.

Saturday, we could tell that Caleb was starting to get alittle homesick. Justin and I decided that a good distraction would be a trip to Sheboygan's Children's Museum. He had a really good time there and I'm bummed I forgot my camera. It's a nice little museum and I felt like we had the place to ourselves. They have a cute area set up like a grocery store..Caleb was pushing his cart, filling it up with food and then unloading it onto the "conveyer belt" where Justin "worked" (scanned the food, bagged it up and found change for Caleb in the register). I'm not sure who had more fun playing...but I do know that if Justin ever loses his job, he'd have no trouble finding employment at the local grocery store. :) The museum also had a new train table...equipped with all the very best tunnels, clock towers, bridges...and trains - many of them Caleb does not have so it was fun for him to play with. Sammy had fun playing at the museum as well. We headed to Casey's pub for lunch afterwards and Caleb enjoyed cheese curds and chicken nuggets. He always thinks it's cool to eat at Uncle Casey's pub...I do too.

Sunday Caleb played outside with Millie while grandpa fed the birds and watered the garden. It was 96 degrees so he spent most of the time running through the sprinkler. He was thrilled when he saw Casey, Jamie and Mally after his nap. He and Mally played trains and dolls...and then chased each other around the house again. After dinner, Caleb took Mally for a ride in his jeep. ha! See pics.

It was a really nice week at home. Caleb had alot of fun with everyone. He loved learning new nursery rhymes from Mary, he showed off alot for Dick, he liked going on the swing and talking to Kay, he enjoyed getting up every morning with Grandma and having breakfast with her and he liked learning about birds from Grandpa (see Caleb's pics with the bird houses...he was fascinated by them and would just stare at their houses and would yell things like "do you have a name"?) It was hilarious. Sammy was spoiled this past week as well. I think he was asking for Kay earlier today...he was wondering why he wasn't cozied up in someone's arms. :)

We got back at 11:00 last night. Caleb didn't sleep in the car and he went immediately to his "yellow room" to play (can you believe that?)
Me: Buddy, it's really late. We can play in there tomorrow.
Caleb: Yes
He leaves the yellow room and then walks over to his train table in the living room.
Caleb: Mama, should we put the tracks together now?
Me: No buddy, it's really late - we'll do it tomorrow.
Caleb: We go to sleep and THEN we put track back together.
Me: Yes

Today I was just thinking about how happy he must be to be back at home, in his own bed (which he loves) and with all his own toys....but before his nap today he cried that he wanted to go to grandma's house. I told him that he'd have to nap at grandma's too, but he still cried for "Gama's house". I figured after a nice nap he'd be back to the excitement of being home. But, as Sammy and I walked in to his room to get him up from his nap, he looked at me with a big smile and said "We are going to gama's house!"
Me: Caleb, we were just there...and for a whole week.
Caleb: Yes. Mama, what's dat? (there was a thunder storm)
Me: That's thunder. There is a storm.
Caleb: After the storm, we go to gama's house.
Me: I think it's going to storm for a really long time, bud.
Caleb: yes....and THEN we go to gama's house.
Me: Sure.

He laughs at my response and starts singing "it's raining it's pouring". Sammy and I start laughing too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home