Growing Up
Caleb is such a good kid. He always has been. He has SUCH a big heart and as he gets older, I am thrilled that that part of him is not changing. And although he is soooo caring and easy going and incredibly friendly, he can also be very challenging...but in very odd ways. Unfortunately, this part of him is not really changing either! And although certain parts about him are staying the same...some good, some bad...he is definitely changing and growing up!! Here are examples:
- He is currently "babysitting" Izzy...and by this I mean that I am home, but he takes her outside for 30 minutes to play while I do something around the house...or in the garden. The other day, I cleaned my kitchen and my car...and as I was outside working on the car, he took Izzy for a "nature walk" through the yard. They found cool things and came inside to make art out of their little treasures. ALL of it was Caleb's idea...adorable. Even better? It only cost me a quarter. Better yet - Sam & I played soccer for awhile while they worked on their nature art piece! Izzy now will come up to me and ask "can Caleb babysit me now?" He is soooo good with her and she adores him...as you can see from this pic!!
- He eats sooooooo much. He has always been my health nut and fortunately, he continues to be...but his food intake lately has been crazy. Last night we went to my parents for dinner...my mom made homemade pesto (ridiculously good). Caleb ate a TON. Tonight - stir fry w/ veggies from the garden...4 helpings. No leftovers for my lunch tomorrow. boo.
- He is starting to do things without me having to ask. Gets dressed and brushes his teeth....puts things away....it's delightful. It's just one less person I have to nag. :)
- The other day Brayden was over mowing the lawn. When he finished, he played on the swingset w/ the kids. Brayden was jumping off the swing and Caleb decided he wanted to learn this trick/stunt. If you know Caleb, you know that he has always been extremely cautious....I was shocked that he just did it. Later he told me "mom, I realized that I need to just conquer my fears." He was also diving off the diving board at our friends cabin last week. Last year, he wouldn't even jump off. Again, he said he wanted to face his fears. And again - he's just doing this on his own....gaining confidence. I love it.
- His thinking continues to blow me away. So the other night, we had a mouse in our house...and Justin is gone (of course). My dad came over to catch the little guy, who was hiding under our heater. Anyway - my dad wanted a flashlight and we couldn't find one. Caleb said "well grandpa, you know that we could get a mirror and just reflect the light under there." huh?
- His adorable grin with a missing tooth is just another reminder to me that he's getting older.
- He no longer requires shoes with velcro...and the other day, he was soooo happy with the selection of shoes he could choose from now!!
- I will see his level of maturity again tomorrow when his friend Jonah comes over to play....listening to Caleb & Jonah might make some people want to gag b/c they are just sooo kind to each other. But I love hearing Caleb be a "host" to a friend in our home...it's both hilarious and heartwarming. And what I love most is that I have not had to teach him this...it's just how he is and probably always will be.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home