Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Very Proud Mom

Caleb by Justin and Kelly Webb
Caleb, a photo by Justin and Kelly Webb on Flickr.

So tonight I had parent/teacher conferences with both Caleb's and Sam's teachers. I must admit that I could not have been more pleased with my boys.

Sam's teacher just loves my crazy kid. My favorite things about his report:
- he loves to participate in class...really gets into whatever they are doing.
- is a good little leader and so helpful with classmates
- is really smart....knows everything he needs to know. Seemed impressed with how well he can write and sound out letters. Thanks to Leapfrog videos, my kids all knew letters/sounds they make at 2 years of age. Who said TV is bad for kids? ;)
- she showed me a picture he drew/colored of a firefighter putting out a fire (after discussing firefighters...not looking at any pics). I thought it was a super cute and funny pic. She said the level of detail was outstanding for his age.
- she said he makes her laugh. :) I just love that.
- when I asked about his behavior/crazy energy level she said "oh no, he's such a good little boy. I just love having him in my class." Oooh Sam. My sweet, energetic, manic kid.

Caleb's report was great as well and I am soooo happy I requested his teacher, b/c she totally "gets him." My favorite things about his report:
- she said she loves his answers to her questions - especially in science - b/c his thought level is so mature for a 1st grader. "he really makes it fun for me"
- apparently his little math brain is beyond that of a 1st grader (I kinda figured). But what I didn't know was that his skills are so far beyond that she wants to get him into the PACE program (gifted and talented)...the schools start this program in 3rd grade, but she thinks he should do it now. She said she doesn't know if the PACE teacher will even allow him to join so young b/c she has never even known a 1st grader to be part of the program. She is pushing for him to be the exception. If he gets put into PACE, he'll be pulled out of class for math. crazy. in the meantime, she apologies for not keeping his attention in math.
- she knew on the 1st day of school that he would be a challenge for her...but in a good way. :)
- she has not even tested reading yet (just simple placement for bookclub), but thinks he is at 3rd grade reading level. She mentioned PACE again.
- "model behavior"...again, I figured this....but what surprised me was that she also said he is "quiet, but thoughtful". Thoughtful, yes...almost to a fault, but quiet? oh my gosh. The kid does NOT STOP TALKING!!!

Who would've thought...Sam is an angel in school and Caleb is quiet. Personally, I think Sam is a brown noser and Caleb is deep in thought...solving the world's problems.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home