Back to "Normal"
For better or worse, we were back on schedule this week. For some in the family, it's significantly better to be back to the routine...for others, it's a bit of a bummer. I enjoy the schedule, but have missed Caleb this week....and have missed "sleeping in". For some reason, over break - EVERYONE slept until about 7:00 every morning. It was delightful, a Christmas present in itself.
In previous posts, I have eluded to the fact that Sam just does not do well when he's out of his routine. I am happy to report that he is back to being my little angel (I know it's hard for some to believe). He had a great week of swimming lessons, back in school with Flinn, a few trips to the Kids Core to play with other friends and home with me, where he truly was a great and easy kid. During Izzy's nap, we spent lots of time outside. One day, we literally shoveled our ENTIRE driveway...and if you have ever seen our driveway, you would think I was nuts. It was a beautiful day, he was loving it and there was only a thin layer of light snow...what the heck - the fresh air and exercise is good for us. We baked banana bread together, played new and old games and sometimes he just moved his trucks around while I sorted laundry. He was sooo pleasant.
Caleb is happy to be back to school and all of his after school activities. He missed his friends and all the different classes he enjoys at school. He was happy to sit at the table this week and do his homework while he gave me the full classroom report (who did what, who was in trouble, and what everyone ate at lunch). He was thrilled to go to swimming again on Monday...I had a hard time getting him out of the water. And tonight, he SO impressed me with his reading. I usually pick out easy reader books for him to read and tonight he wanted to read some of his bible...sure enough, he was reading the "bigger" words without any help (e.g shimmering, scattered). I was so impressed. Unbelievable.
I actually think Izzy prefers this routine as well b/c it means she gets out of the house more. She likes being busy (like me). She had plenty of visits to the Kids Core and LOVED being around her friends there again. She also gets so excited to pick up her brothers from school. Seriously one of her highlights. Back to routine means alone time with me, which is really great for both of us. Tonight, I did movie night with the kids and she was sooooo excited (more for the popcorn...I think she watched about 15 minutes of the movie).
As for me, I was happy to be back on the tennis court, working out in the gym, volunteering in Caleb's classroom, meeting with the service club and making normal healthy meals for the family. It feels good to be back to normal...even if "normal" is early and involves shoveling for 2 hours.
In previous posts, I have eluded to the fact that Sam just does not do well when he's out of his routine. I am happy to report that he is back to being my little angel (I know it's hard for some to believe). He had a great week of swimming lessons, back in school with Flinn, a few trips to the Kids Core to play with other friends and home with me, where he truly was a great and easy kid. During Izzy's nap, we spent lots of time outside. One day, we literally shoveled our ENTIRE driveway...and if you have ever seen our driveway, you would think I was nuts. It was a beautiful day, he was loving it and there was only a thin layer of light snow...what the heck - the fresh air and exercise is good for us. We baked banana bread together, played new and old games and sometimes he just moved his trucks around while I sorted laundry. He was sooo pleasant.
Caleb is happy to be back to school and all of his after school activities. He missed his friends and all the different classes he enjoys at school. He was happy to sit at the table this week and do his homework while he gave me the full classroom report (who did what, who was in trouble, and what everyone ate at lunch). He was thrilled to go to swimming again on Monday...I had a hard time getting him out of the water. And tonight, he SO impressed me with his reading. I usually pick out easy reader books for him to read and tonight he wanted to read some of his bible...sure enough, he was reading the "bigger" words without any help (e.g shimmering, scattered). I was so impressed. Unbelievable.
I actually think Izzy prefers this routine as well b/c it means she gets out of the house more. She likes being busy (like me). She had plenty of visits to the Kids Core and LOVED being around her friends there again. She also gets so excited to pick up her brothers from school. Seriously one of her highlights. Back to routine means alone time with me, which is really great for both of us. Tonight, I did movie night with the kids and she was sooooo excited (more for the popcorn...I think she watched about 15 minutes of the movie).
As for me, I was happy to be back on the tennis court, working out in the gym, volunteering in Caleb's classroom, meeting with the service club and making normal healthy meals for the family. It feels good to be back to normal...even if "normal" is early and involves shoveling for 2 hours.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home