Flying Through Another Year
Happy 2011!! I can't believe how fast 2010 flew by....and what all has happened over the year. The kids have changed so much and we have really settled into Sheboygan and just love it. We obviously love having family here, and we have really found a great group of friends - - multiple "groups" actually. We are so lucky.
We celebrated the New Year and my sister's Birthday (New Years baby) this afternoon at my parents house..watching the Rose Bowl (which was a disappointment) and eating super yummy food. NOW I can get back on track with healthy eating. :) Anyway, one of my favorite moments of the afternoon was Caleb's halftime show - - a magic show (I bought him a kit for xmas). He did so well and was sooo proud of himself....adorable.
I think my first post of the year should outline what each of the kids is "into"...then I can look back and see the changes as the year progresses.
Caleb :
- loves games....whether it's a board game, card game, wii , nintendo or gameshow on TV - he absolutely loves games.
- showing greater signs of maturity when he doesn't get his way. A perfect example is when he asks if he can play on his nintendo and I say "no" - - there is no whining or arguing, just a simple and polite "okay". delightful.
- continues to love school but is bored academically. desperately wishes he could be challenged, especially in math. Loves the social aspect of school and continues to be my "social child".
- is an amazing little math whiz. the other day he asked me how many days there are in a year. I asked him to guess. His answer after thinking for a few seconds: "well, I have to figure what 12 x 31 is and that is my answer." How many 5 year olds think like that? I told him how smart he is and how spot on his thought process was and then said "but you do know that there are not 31 days in every month, right?" "I know that, but that would at least give me a really close guess." Right again.
- absolutely loves penguins. Most of the books he brings home from the library are about penguins and his new pillow pet is a penguin he calls "Tooty Pup"...apparently it has alot of gas.
- loves swimming lessons and is an amazing little swimmer (is starting level 3 on Monday). He has also surprised me so much with his determination on the ice rink and as mentioned in my previous post, on his snowboarding skills.
- is becoming a good little reader and writer. He loves journaling and making lists.
- is a health nut (comes by that one naturally...from me, not Justin!). When asked what he wants for a snack, his answer is often "anything healthy." There aren't many kids who choose a salad over fries at a restaurant. He doesn't like candy either. He seriously eats the healthiest things in his lunchbox first and leaves the dessert for last, sometimes not even eating it. Crazy. By far the healthiest eater in the family.
Sam:
- has more energy than anyone I have ever met. He is in constant motion, even when watching TV (which he still doesn't care to do that often)
- loves to work....like physical labor. Give him a shovel/wheelbarrow and a pile of dirt and the kid is as happy as can be. he is also happy vacuuming/washing windows/etc. If he's bored, there is trouble.
- he also love playing games, but mostly board games.
- absolutely loves construction trucks.
- is obsessed with brushing his teeth.
- panics if he thinks he smells bad...example: tonight we didn't give them baths and he cried b/c he thought his feet smelled bad. hahahaha. his sense of smell is like mine...we don't miss anything. When I laid down next to him tonight he said "what do I smell?" "what DON'T you smell, Sam?" "nothing."
- has only a few friends, but is SUCH a good friend to these lucky little guys. He thinks about them alot and how he can make them happy - - it's adorable. An example: Flinn has had lunch here a few times. The first time he ate fruit and vanilla yogurt (which Sammy doesn't really like) and before Flinn came over for lunch again we were grocery shopping and Sam said "oh mom, we need to get vanilla yogurt for Flinn b/c that's his favorite." Ever since (and thanks to Sam), we keep vanilla yogurt in our fridge just in case our little friend is back for lunch. He also loves helping his buddies...I have seen him helping them get their jackets and even shoes on - - it's hilarious, but very cute.
- he is a horrible sleeper. he snores loudly, stops breathing and doesn't lay still. He is seeing a specialist later this month.
- loves any sport, but I think soccer is his favorite (though hockey may be right up there with soccer). he kicks a soccer ball around the house non-stop and continues to break things in each room....lost a few ornaments this year. Oh well.
- unlike Caleb, he loves candy. Loves. He doesn't care if it's unhealthy and is therefore happy to order fries.
Isabella:
- is definitely 2 and terrible. Worse than either of the boys "terrible twos"...and we've only just begun. It may be a LONG year for me.
- is obsessed with books. could seriously be read to all day.
- loves listening to music, dancing and singing. Now that she is 2 I can sign her up for classes and we are taking a music class together starting later this month.
- doesn't like TV....will watch maybe 5 minutes of Clifford, Curious George, Sesame Street or Thomas.
- loves taking care of her baby dolls, making me food in her kitchen, and cleaning. loves imitating me and her brothers.
- is social. loves playing with kids at the kids core and knows everyone's name (and what they eat for a snack).
- is obsessed with letters. at a restaurant, she doesn't want to color - she wants a word search and she wants to find letters that I call out.
- her favorite word is "do-do head". We are all trying to ignore her when she calls someone this name (vs scolding her)...but it is hard not to laugh when this little person walks by and whispers "do-do head mama" when she doesn't get her way.
- she becomes a huge flirt when she sees her older cousins.
- is a great communicator for just turning 2. I can understand just about everything she says and she has been speaking in sentences for awhile.
- tells me she wants "princess underwear" but I don't think we are very close to potty training. I'm not in any hurry.
- doesn't care what outfit I pick out for her to wear (YET) but has a major opinion on the shoes. She currently loves her polka dot boots and her silver/glittery cozy crocs. If I make her wear something else, I turn into a do-do head.
We celebrated the New Year and my sister's Birthday (New Years baby) this afternoon at my parents house..watching the Rose Bowl (which was a disappointment) and eating super yummy food. NOW I can get back on track with healthy eating. :) Anyway, one of my favorite moments of the afternoon was Caleb's halftime show - - a magic show (I bought him a kit for xmas). He did so well and was sooo proud of himself....adorable.
I think my first post of the year should outline what each of the kids is "into"...then I can look back and see the changes as the year progresses.
Caleb :
- loves games....whether it's a board game, card game, wii , nintendo or gameshow on TV - he absolutely loves games.
- showing greater signs of maturity when he doesn't get his way. A perfect example is when he asks if he can play on his nintendo and I say "no" - - there is no whining or arguing, just a simple and polite "okay". delightful.
- continues to love school but is bored academically. desperately wishes he could be challenged, especially in math. Loves the social aspect of school and continues to be my "social child".
- is an amazing little math whiz. the other day he asked me how many days there are in a year. I asked him to guess. His answer after thinking for a few seconds: "well, I have to figure what 12 x 31 is and that is my answer." How many 5 year olds think like that? I told him how smart he is and how spot on his thought process was and then said "but you do know that there are not 31 days in every month, right?" "I know that, but that would at least give me a really close guess." Right again.
- absolutely loves penguins. Most of the books he brings home from the library are about penguins and his new pillow pet is a penguin he calls "Tooty Pup"...apparently it has alot of gas.
- loves swimming lessons and is an amazing little swimmer (is starting level 3 on Monday). He has also surprised me so much with his determination on the ice rink and as mentioned in my previous post, on his snowboarding skills.
- is becoming a good little reader and writer. He loves journaling and making lists.
- is a health nut (comes by that one naturally...from me, not Justin!). When asked what he wants for a snack, his answer is often "anything healthy." There aren't many kids who choose a salad over fries at a restaurant. He doesn't like candy either. He seriously eats the healthiest things in his lunchbox first and leaves the dessert for last, sometimes not even eating it. Crazy. By far the healthiest eater in the family.
Sam:
- has more energy than anyone I have ever met. He is in constant motion, even when watching TV (which he still doesn't care to do that often)
- loves to work....like physical labor. Give him a shovel/wheelbarrow and a pile of dirt and the kid is as happy as can be. he is also happy vacuuming/washing windows/etc. If he's bored, there is trouble.
- he also love playing games, but mostly board games.
- absolutely loves construction trucks.
- is obsessed with brushing his teeth.
- panics if he thinks he smells bad...example: tonight we didn't give them baths and he cried b/c he thought his feet smelled bad. hahahaha. his sense of smell is like mine...we don't miss anything. When I laid down next to him tonight he said "what do I smell?" "what DON'T you smell, Sam?" "nothing."
- has only a few friends, but is SUCH a good friend to these lucky little guys. He thinks about them alot and how he can make them happy - - it's adorable. An example: Flinn has had lunch here a few times. The first time he ate fruit and vanilla yogurt (which Sammy doesn't really like) and before Flinn came over for lunch again we were grocery shopping and Sam said "oh mom, we need to get vanilla yogurt for Flinn b/c that's his favorite." Ever since (and thanks to Sam), we keep vanilla yogurt in our fridge just in case our little friend is back for lunch. He also loves helping his buddies...I have seen him helping them get their jackets and even shoes on - - it's hilarious, but very cute.
- he is a horrible sleeper. he snores loudly, stops breathing and doesn't lay still. He is seeing a specialist later this month.
- loves any sport, but I think soccer is his favorite (though hockey may be right up there with soccer). he kicks a soccer ball around the house non-stop and continues to break things in each room....lost a few ornaments this year. Oh well.
- unlike Caleb, he loves candy. Loves. He doesn't care if it's unhealthy and is therefore happy to order fries.
Isabella:
- is definitely 2 and terrible. Worse than either of the boys "terrible twos"...and we've only just begun. It may be a LONG year for me.
- is obsessed with books. could seriously be read to all day.
- loves listening to music, dancing and singing. Now that she is 2 I can sign her up for classes and we are taking a music class together starting later this month.
- doesn't like TV....will watch maybe 5 minutes of Clifford, Curious George, Sesame Street or Thomas.
- loves taking care of her baby dolls, making me food in her kitchen, and cleaning. loves imitating me and her brothers.
- is social. loves playing with kids at the kids core and knows everyone's name (and what they eat for a snack).
- is obsessed with letters. at a restaurant, she doesn't want to color - she wants a word search and she wants to find letters that I call out.
- her favorite word is "do-do head". We are all trying to ignore her when she calls someone this name (vs scolding her)...but it is hard not to laugh when this little person walks by and whispers "do-do head mama" when she doesn't get her way.
- she becomes a huge flirt when she sees her older cousins.
- is a great communicator for just turning 2. I can understand just about everything she says and she has been speaking in sentences for awhile.
- tells me she wants "princess underwear" but I don't think we are very close to potty training. I'm not in any hurry.
- doesn't care what outfit I pick out for her to wear (YET) but has a major opinion on the shoes. She currently loves her polka dot boots and her silver/glittery cozy crocs. If I make her wear something else, I turn into a do-do head.


1 Comments:
Hilarious post, Kelly! Happy New Year to you! If you watched the Packers/Bears game, I just want to remind you we weren't playing many 1st stringers. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home