What I Have Learned the First 2 Weeks of Summer Break
First 2 weeks of summer vacation have been jammed packed, but super fun...and a learning experience for me. Here are a few things I have learned so far:
- All of my kids can easily stay up until 10:00...for multiple nights in a row. And only Izzy needs to "sleep in".
- The boys get along perfectly when Izzy is at camp. This week, Izzy is at camp all morning at Bookworm Gardens (which she LOVES)...and the boys have been the best buds...until she gets home.
- We will most likely need to "host" an instructor next summer from the British Soccer Camp...our kids love the camp, the instructors/coaches are amazing, and one of my friends hosted this year and we had a blast with him. The kids keep asking why we can't have one live with us. Next year.
- The kids truly do not run out of energy. Last week, they all had soccer camp in the morning and on Monday & Wednesday, Sam & Caleb have an hour tennis lesson and then we swim for a few hours at the Sports Core beach..and then Sam has baseball (and Caleb & Izzy play at a park with friends...they don't sit and watch). They all could honestly still run laps around our house when we get home at 7:00. It amazes me.
- All of this running around gives them all (well,the boys anyway) a huge appetite. Caleb has always had a big appetite, but now Sam is right there with him. 2 sandwiches for lunch, along with the other normal stuff (cheese,crackers & fruit). Caleb can easily put away 2 steak sandwiches..for lunch.
- So far, it has been a summer of "musical children" with a few close friends of mine. I had kids at our place (or was watching them at the Sports Core) every day last week, and they have all helped me in return. We are so lucky to have such great friends...and having kids the same ages as ours is just icing on the cake. Perfection.
- My house will not be clean this summer. at ALL.
- My car will not be clean this summer....but should I get a flat tire or run out of gas, there is plenty of food and beverage and extra clothes in there for us to be comfortable for a LONG time. There are even toys in there.
- I love having all my kids home with me. I really do. I love summer break..I love the change in schedule. I love how some weeks we have nothing planned and others are crazy. I love hanging out with them right now (will most likely NOT feel this way mid-August) and I love how much fun they are having. Every day has been SO fun or them and I love giving them that and being there with them to see it.
- The kids look at me in amazement when I suggest playing xbox, or wii....I HAD to get them out of the sun this week and that was the only way to "bring them in". I earned a few "cool mom" awards for that.
- Shopping with all 3 kids is crazy. I'm not sure if I will spend less money b/c I will just avoid shopping altogether, or if I will spend more b/c when they are with me, they find things we "need" and are good at persuading me (or maybe they are catching me in weaker moments). Regardless, it has actually not been bad...just crazy...and somewhat funny and interesting. btw, they are not asking me for toys...it's food items....which leads me to my next point:
- We will not be eating as healthy this summer. Lots of fruits and veges, but a lot of other "stuff" that usually doesn't get past me.
- I can be surprised. And even bigger news for me - - Justin can keep a secret. He surprised me with the coolest and best 40th Birthday surprise party ever. Won't go into all the details, but he pulled off a perfect party, which included friends from college who traveled to be here...so perfect and so fun.
- Having a cabin on a lake sounds so peaceful and relaxing, but it is a LOT of work. I am exhausted after a day at the lake....and I'm still trying to figure out why it doesn't have the same impact on the kids.


1 Comments:
Great summer update! My shopping with 3 kids tip: everyone gets 1 thing of their choice. That way I have a maximum of 3 things I wouldn't normally buy. If they see something they want more, the have to choose between the 2. SOMEtimes they even choose healthy things!
Wait, you have a lake house?
Post details about the party sometime!
Post a Comment
<< Home