A Griswold Day….
…as in National Lampoon’s Vacation. My family will understand.
Anyway – Justin was (without trying) the perfect Clark W. Griswold. Remember the scene where they make it all the way to Wolly World and it’s closed…and Clark punches out the moose and then proceeds to break-in to the park and ride the rollercoasters with his family? We almost had one of those moments.
So, yesterday we were all excited for our Day Out With Thomas. We were listening to Thomas stories on the way there (a little over an hour drive) and talking about how much fun we would have and what we were going to see and do. We were moments away and I busted out the video camera to record Caleb’s reaction to seeing Thomas. We noticed a long line of cars and noone parking so I shut off the camera and paid attention to what was going on. It looked like we were being re-routed to a different parking lot. We drove alittle further up the road to where a policeman was standing and handing out pieces of paper that said “due to flood, we are closing the museum today”. Our hearts just sank. Caleb had been talking for days about riding Thomas and meeting Sir Topham Hatt (he was practicing “nice to meet you, Sir Topham Hatt”). Neither Justin or I wanted to be the one to break the news to Caleb.
In the meantime, Clark W. was driving around the museum and through the back roads in a frantic search for Thomas. “He has to be out here” “I’m going to find him” and a few times threatened “if I see Thomas, I’m taking my kid out of this car to meet him, I don’t care if the museum is closed.” “My kid is going to see Thomas today.”
We did not find Thomas (a bit of a relief for me…) and we told Caleb that Thomas was called to help Henry and so we’d have to ride on Thomas another day (hopefully this coming weekend). He was actually okay with it. He took it better than me or Justin. Ha! But since we felt SO bad for him we went to Culvers for lunch and then to Michael’s to let him pick out a new train (Aquarium cars) and fingerpaints. We enjoyed some good family time at home instead. This made Clark feel much better. Hahaha.
Anyway – Justin was (without trying) the perfect Clark W. Griswold. Remember the scene where they make it all the way to Wolly World and it’s closed…and Clark punches out the moose and then proceeds to break-in to the park and ride the rollercoasters with his family? We almost had one of those moments.
So, yesterday we were all excited for our Day Out With Thomas. We were listening to Thomas stories on the way there (a little over an hour drive) and talking about how much fun we would have and what we were going to see and do. We were moments away and I busted out the video camera to record Caleb’s reaction to seeing Thomas. We noticed a long line of cars and noone parking so I shut off the camera and paid attention to what was going on. It looked like we were being re-routed to a different parking lot. We drove alittle further up the road to where a policeman was standing and handing out pieces of paper that said “due to flood, we are closing the museum today”. Our hearts just sank. Caleb had been talking for days about riding Thomas and meeting Sir Topham Hatt (he was practicing “nice to meet you, Sir Topham Hatt”). Neither Justin or I wanted to be the one to break the news to Caleb.
In the meantime, Clark W. was driving around the museum and through the back roads in a frantic search for Thomas. “He has to be out here” “I’m going to find him” and a few times threatened “if I see Thomas, I’m taking my kid out of this car to meet him, I don’t care if the museum is closed.” “My kid is going to see Thomas today.”
We did not find Thomas (a bit of a relief for me…) and we told Caleb that Thomas was called to help Henry and so we’d have to ride on Thomas another day (hopefully this coming weekend). He was actually okay with it. He took it better than me or Justin. Ha! But since we felt SO bad for him we went to Culvers for lunch and then to Michael’s to let him pick out a new train (Aquarium cars) and fingerpaints. We enjoyed some good family time at home instead. This made Clark feel much better. Hahaha.


1 Comments:
Since I heard about this, I've been calling Justin "Clarke Griswold" - even before seeing your post. That is the best moment of the movie!
Hope you see Thomas this weekend! Thomas had to go push Henry because Sir Topham's doctor has forbidden him to push!
Post a Comment
<< Home