Name:
Location: United States

Monday, February 18, 2008

A Long and Silly Weekend

It's been a long weekend for a few reasons.....well, it literally was a long weekend for Justin b/c he had today off for Presidents Day (at least I think it's Presidents Day...I'm happy when I know what day of the week it is. Regardless he was home). The second reason why it was a long weekend is because this was "The Weekend" to POTTY TRAIN!! And having said that, I am pleased to report that Caleb is officially OUT OF DIAPERS!!!

So, I think Justin and I decided on Friday that this would be the weekend to try. Caleb really had NOT been showing "all the signs" pediatricians say to look for before potty training, but I figure the kid is smart enough, he should be able to get it. Plus, I have certain deadlines for things like potty training & pacifiers and in a few months he'll reach my limit on being in diapers.

On Friday night, Caleb and I talked about saying "goodbye" to the diapers, and I tried to get him all excited about wearing underwear and using the potty. He seemed okay with it, though not too eager.
Saturday morning and early afternoon was a.....disaster. It REALLY upset him to wet his pants, but I really don't think he understood what it felt like before he had to go. He went through alot of underwear. It all started to make sense to him around 4:00 pm on Saturday....and he had NO accidents Sunday or today!! We were SO proud of him!!!

The funny thing about potty training him (well, there were alot of funny things) but what we noticed about him was that he would not go to the bathroom when we forced him to sit on the potty. We did the whole "make him sit on the potty every hour" thing and it just did not work with him. He never went when we forced him to sit on the potty, and he would even say "but I dont' have the feeling!" He'd come up to us later and tell us when he "had the feeling" and sure enough, he was right. So today we stopped telling him when he had to try, and he managed perfectly without our nagging. ha.

He had a few incentives along the way, but the biggest reward (so far) was a new watch with Lightening McQueen (Cars movie)...he received that tonight (see pics).

My favorite quote from him this weekend was said tonight as he looked in his toilet: "oh mama, look at all that mud in there" which was followed by a "that's disgusting". Although I agreed with him, I tried hard to convince him and myself that it wasn't.

We had one outing today - to Music Class. Justin came with us and before we left, Caleb asked "Does Miss Joan have a bathroom in her house?" "It's not her house, but yes, there is a bathroom there." "Where is it?" "I'll show you when we get there." "Okay"
When we get there, he is so excited to tell Miss Joan that he goes poop and pee pee in the potty. She was very proud of him and she made him feel very special. He was beaming. Then he asked me if he could see her bathroom....I guess he approved of it. He wore training pants "just in case" and I think I'll continue to have him use those when we run errands for awhile.

Sam has been a trooper this weekend. I have felt like I have neglected him (I even had a nightmare about him!). I'm glad Justin was around to keep him entertained and happy...which is why we choose the long wknd to do this. I still felt bad - - we cheered Caleb on so much, and he received alot of little treats (mostly jelly beans, but still). Sam has been leaving his pacifier in his crib (he literally throws it - hard - at one of his stuffed animals) and he doesn't even get it in the car anymore. We are very proud of him for this - - I would give him jelly beans too, but the poor guy still only has 2 teeth. Caleb had a mouthful at 12 months! Anyway, Sam is happy eating healthy crackers instead. :) And speaking of eating, as you can see from the pics, Sam is now feeding himself with the spoon - he's not even 14 months!! (or is he? I don't even know what the date is....good grief!) Regardless, it's early and we are excited about it, and so is Sam!

So that has been our entire holiday weekend. It wasn't necessarily fun, though we managed to have plenty of laughs. I don't think I have ever been so proud of Caleb. He impressed both of us over the past two days (NO accidents after one day of training!!) and although I know there are going to be many accidents (i'm counting on at least one tomorrow), I never thought the "potty training weekend" would've been this smooth. Even if it was just alittle "disgusting". :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home