My Sweet Caleb
So, our family has not been to church in a LONG time. I feel alittle guilty about it and I actually miss the sense of peace I have when I leave a big Catholic Church. We used to go every Sunday night when we lived in the city - the church was so beautiful and we loved being there....we'd go to church and then walk over to John's Place for a yummy dinner.
We haven't found a church we like out in the burbs...we talked recently about starting the search again, but the thought of Sam in a church is a scary one. Caleb would be fine....Sam...a nightmare. The kid just won't sit still (still won't watch TV).
SO - anyway I bring this all up because although we are not great about going to church, I have tried hard to teach Caleb (and soon Sam) about God....we pray and we read alot of bible stories and we talk about Jesus, especially around the holidays. Over the past few weeks, Caleb has done/said a few things that has really made us feel good about what he knows. Here they are:
1) He named a dog that Sam got for Christmas "Bible". I know - it's funny. So he'll be taking the dog for a walk and I hear "come on Bible". Weird, but sort of sweet. ha!
2) When he was sick the other day, he grabbed Justin's bible from the coffee table and sat on the couch with me and told me the story of Noah's Ark. He told it very well.
3) He requests the book "Jonah and the Big Fish"...one of his favorite right now...right up there with Clifford. :)
4) A few weeks ago, we were all at the mall ...boys riding in the double stroller looking around...Justin and I talking...Justin was telling me a story about a friend of his who is having trouble with his oldest daughter. Justin said something like "I told him that he is not in control" and Caleb (the eavesdropper) piped in and said "God is"". I looked down and said "what?" And he repeated "God is". Justin and I looked at each other like there was an alien in the stroller. And I said "God is what?" and he responded "in control." I think Justin stopped walking at this point and I just smiled very big and said "you are absolutely correct buddy, God is in control." Caleb was proud and said "oh yes He is."
We haven't found a church we like out in the burbs...we talked recently about starting the search again, but the thought of Sam in a church is a scary one. Caleb would be fine....Sam...a nightmare. The kid just won't sit still (still won't watch TV).
SO - anyway I bring this all up because although we are not great about going to church, I have tried hard to teach Caleb (and soon Sam) about God....we pray and we read alot of bible stories and we talk about Jesus, especially around the holidays. Over the past few weeks, Caleb has done/said a few things that has really made us feel good about what he knows. Here they are:
1) He named a dog that Sam got for Christmas "Bible". I know - it's funny. So he'll be taking the dog for a walk and I hear "come on Bible". Weird, but sort of sweet. ha!
2) When he was sick the other day, he grabbed Justin's bible from the coffee table and sat on the couch with me and told me the story of Noah's Ark. He told it very well.
3) He requests the book "Jonah and the Big Fish"...one of his favorite right now...right up there with Clifford. :)
4) A few weeks ago, we were all at the mall ...boys riding in the double stroller looking around...Justin and I talking...Justin was telling me a story about a friend of his who is having trouble with his oldest daughter. Justin said something like "I told him that he is not in control" and Caleb (the eavesdropper) piped in and said "God is"". I looked down and said "what?" And he repeated "God is". Justin and I looked at each other like there was an alien in the stroller. And I said "God is what?" and he responded "in control." I think Justin stopped walking at this point and I just smiled very big and said "you are absolutely correct buddy, God is in control." Caleb was proud and said "oh yes He is."


1 Comments:
Is it possible to find a church that has classes for the boys? Our church has rooms for all age levels - infant through 5 years old. And Alex's room right now reads religious books and they do other related activities. Fact is that they get so little out of a full hour church service and then you are too worried about keeping them quiet and what they are doing to really enjoy the message.
Post a Comment
<< Home