The Best Medicine
I have been told by numerous moms/dads that the road to recovery after a tonsilectomy is a bit of a rollercoaster. Rollercoaster it has been - with a few major painful drops so far...and I know there is at least one more coming..so I've heard. My tough one has been put to the test and what a trooper he has been. The only tears that have been shed since waking him up at 5:30am on Wednesday have been on Wednesday & Thursday night....when the pain was just too great. He was up all night last night throwing up (for the first time ever in his life) and he didn't complain/cry/wimper once. I decided last night that his little empty belly couldn't handle the pain medicine anymore so we were done using it. I told him this morning that if his throat was really hurting, we'd give him more, but I thought his tummy needed a break from it. He quietly agreed with a slow nod of this head and didn't complain at all today...about anything.
He doesn't say much. Even on Thursday when he felt great, he barely spoke. Yesterday he felt MISERABLE and I really don't think he said anything...just pointed, nodded, or waved a finger/shook his head. This morning was the same - nothing much coming out of his mouth, and certainly no smiles....until Amy and Brayden showed up late this morning. When he lifted his little head off the pillow and saw that Brayden was here, he lit up. He got off the couch, walked over to his car mat and started playing cars with Brayden. The happiest he has been since Wednesday morning and the first time in over 24 hours that he got off the couch. A turning point (or at least a big curve on the roller coaster) - - thanks to Brayden. Better than medicine. Better than popsicles. So far the best medicine for Sam has been Brayden & the monkey from Granny.
He doesn't say much. Even on Thursday when he felt great, he barely spoke. Yesterday he felt MISERABLE and I really don't think he said anything...just pointed, nodded, or waved a finger/shook his head. This morning was the same - nothing much coming out of his mouth, and certainly no smiles....until Amy and Brayden showed up late this morning. When he lifted his little head off the pillow and saw that Brayden was here, he lit up. He got off the couch, walked over to his car mat and started playing cars with Brayden. The happiest he has been since Wednesday morning and the first time in over 24 hours that he got off the couch. A turning point (or at least a big curve on the roller coaster) - - thanks to Brayden. Better than medicine. Better than popsicles. So far the best medicine for Sam has been Brayden & the monkey from Granny.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home