Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sweetness

Happy Valentine's Day....a day late. When I was in grade school I absolutely loved Valentine's Day. I loved how we made our own "mailbox" for the valentines, I loved getting the valentines all ready at home (I spent way too much time deciding who would get which valentine's though), I loved passing them out, I loved reading the ones I received, and of course I loved eating the candy....and I just enjoyed the whole "celebration" of it in school with cupcakes/etc. It was just a super fun sugary sweet day! Anyway - I mention this b/c I have to admit that I was living through Caleb yesterday....like, I was excited to see his "mailbox" and to read through all the Valentines. I felt like a kid. And fortunately, he really got into it this year also. He LOVED putting together fun goodie bags for his classmates and teachers and - like I used to do - he took SO much time in choosing the valentine AND the goodies for each person. Example - we added pencils to our bags and Caleb would say things like "Oh, Austin is obsessed with football so he definitely gets a football pencil". He really put thought into each person's valentine...so adorable.

While Caleb had a blast celebrating at school, Sam & Izzy were stuck at home celebrating with me. Our celebration consisted of arts and crafts and alot of ice cream and popsicles....and visits from my mom, Amy & Calian. :)

Caleb deserved a great day. He has impressed me with his patience and helpfulness while I have given Sammy the majority of my attention for the past week. I can't even imagine how many times I have had to say to him "Caleb, I can't help you now, I'm sorry." And I have not received any complaints. Sam has had complete say in TV shows we have watched, board games we have played and the type of ice cream we dish that night. AND we have missed hockey and swimming lessons b/c of Sam. Caleb has not once told me it is not fair...and it doesn't always seem fair. I feel I have asked alot from him and he steps right up and takes charge when I need him to..."run and get me a puke bucket!" "take Izzy into the other room to play while Sam gets sick!" "please fill Sam's cup up with water" "run upstairs and get me a diaper" "please help izzy with that puzzle" "please help me clean the living room even though none of this mess is yours". Only need to ask once. He knows my limits when life here is crazy. He is my smart boy. My thoughtful smart boy. But tonight, he REALLY went above and beyond. I had a basket of clean clothes for the boys in the hallway between their rooms. After reading to Izzy, I walk into Sam's room and Caleb has just finished putting the clean clothes away. I asked him what he was doing and he said "ooh, I'm just emptying out this clothes basket for you. All mine are put away, just trying to figure out where you put his jeans and then his will be done too." I looked at him like he was from Mars. He has never put clean clothes away. I have never asked. "I just thought you could use alittle help" he says. Now THAT is a sweet Valentine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home